Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lesson 18: Renshuu: Practice Makes Perfect - Arimasu

OK, it's time to take what you've learned in the past several lessons and ... (drum roll, not egg roll) ... apply it! Try some of these examples and see how well you do.

A) Practice changing the sentences around.

If it says, "There is an A there", change it to "The A is there" and vice-versa.
Also, try to write down the meaning of each of the sentences for practice.
You should be able to put it together if you have come this far.

Rei: Asoko ni niwa ga arimasu. --> Niwa wa asoko ni arimasu.

1. Koko ni shii-dii ga arimasu. -->
2. Niwa no ike ni sakana ga imasu. -->
3. Keiko-san wa doko ni imasu ka? -->
4. Heya ni neko wa imasen. -->
5. Sono teeburu ni biiru ga takusan arimasu. -->

B) Produce the following sentences.

Each one will get larger, but they are all complete sentences.

Rei: Arimasu; takusan; okane (money); watashi wa. --> Watashi wa okane ga takusan arimasu.

1. Imasen; amari; tomodachi (friend); imooto (younger sister) -->
2. Arimasu; san-gai (third floor); pooru (pool); anata-tachi no -->
3. Arimasu; takusan; okane; kanojo -->
4. Imasu; oji-san (middle-aged man); futotta; tabako-ya ni wa -->

C) Say the following in Japanese.
Be careful of the use of wa, ga, imasu, arimasu.

1. There are (some) cats here.
2. The tobacco shop is over there.
3. Over there is a fish.
4. Honda-san is over there.
5. There is a pen there.

And...

Take a deep breath

in..........

now......

out ........

You're doing a fantastic job! Now go turn off your computer, and head out into the great outdoors for some refreshing minus ions to help let your brain relax, and absorb what we have been learning about in these lessons!

I'll see you again soon.

- Sensei

P.S. Send me a message when you get this far and are ready for some more lessons. Until I get a few people who have come this far, I plan to give you a break.
.
.
.
.
Possible answers to Part C:

1. There are (some) cats here. --> Koko ni neko ga imasu.
2. The tobacco shop is over there. --> Tabako-ya ga asoko ni arimasu.
3. Over there is a fish. --> Asoko ni sakana ga imasu.
4. Honda-san is over there. --> Honda-san wa asoko ni imasu.
5. There is a pen there. --> Asoko ni pen ga arimasu.

10 comments:

Lyvvie said...

You are so difficult to follow! But hooray - I love Japanese lesson blogs. thanks for a new one to add to my list. Now if you could have a blogger blog then it would be fabulous! I can't figure out how to comment on you 360 blog.

Between YouTube, 360 and blogger...where else will you be found, I wonder? Have a super day Cam!

Cameron said...

Lyvvie - "difficult to follow" in what way? Do you mean "difficult to follow around"? Or my English is "difficult to follow"? I'm curious about this now! Please explain.

Umm.... I can be found in several other places, actually.....

YouTube
360 (two places)
Multiply
Flickr
video-camswitzer.blogspot dot com/
my-furusato.blogspot dot com/
blog.globalizedlove dot net
japanippon dot com

And maybe more... but I can't recall....

Oh heck, if you just put my name in a browser search you can probably find me in more places than even I don't know!

But seriously, if you meant that my Japanese lessons are difficult to understand, then I have a serious problem and need to fix it. Please DO let me know.

Thanks!

I love you!

P.S. If you request an add to my 360 (with a personal message - I've chosen to delete all standard invites because I get TONS and most are from "questionable sources", then I'll accept and then you can leave a comment! I'd love that!)

Hmmm... I wonder if I do exist elsewhere now but have just forgotten...

Lyvvie said...

No no, definitely didn't mean your lessons, but you yourself. I found you on Youtube first and subscribed but then noticed the 360 blog, which I guess is your main blog, and now all these others. How do you manage all of it?

The Japanese lessons are great!I'm looking forward to adding them to my notebook (which is how I stumbled across your youtube home when searching for Japan) I'm very sorry to have caused the confusion.

...do I look like a stalker now?

Cameron said...

Stalk away, Lyvvie! I'm an attention whore.

Oh, I found myself elsewhere also. Apparently I'm on the MSN Spaces, and even have written several publications for ezinearticles.com.

I'm glad you clarified it!

Cam

Sunaryo Sun said...

thanks 4 ur lessons.

hope i will be able to go to japan too!

thanks :)

The Funky Drummer said...

Hi Cam,

I have just stumbled across your Nippon site (specifically the rice harvest pages) whislt researching something, and became curious.

The landscape looked familiar, and, sure enough, after a bit more googling - I found you lived in Fukui.

I lived there for 2 years (2004-06) but our paths never crossed.

Anyway - loved the detail on the Nippon site - really made me long for the Ono mountains and paddies again.

Domo!

Sam

Cameron said...

Hi Sam,

Yes, I was there, loving everything about Fukui from 1991 - 2009. (AET at Ono Koko from 91-94)
Business went dry and now I live in Tokyo, but I seriously miss the great outdoors.
When you spend nearly 20 years in that Shangri-la it hooks a part of your soul and likely never gives up.
(Unless of course you are Japanese and were born there... then you probably can't wait to get out!)

Sorry I missed you!

Thanks for visiting my sit and finding it totally by chance.
I rarely update that now as websites are uni-directional and not so interesting since the advent of blog sites, and SNS systems. Oh well.... nice to know it is still being discovered, though.

Happy New Year

Cam

The Funky Drummer said...

No way! I lived in Ono too (Shotoku and Kamisho JHS). It certainly was heaven for a snow and mountain lover like myself.

Did you ever go to Yumeya bar? I got friendly with the owner (Yasu) who was a real man of the mountains.

If you feel like reminiscing over that paddy paradise, check out my blog (thefunkydrummer) which has lots of pics of the Okuestu area - the lakes, mountains and other places I loved to explore.

cheers

Sam

Cameron said...

Sam - Yep. When I was there, I enjoyed Yumeya many times. I loved the fact that he was a bar owner mountain climber. A REAL mountain climber.

The country band that used to play there (brother and sister team) were really cool, too. They were good. The funny thing about them was that the brother was a buddhist priest as well.

Ahhh... Ono....

Have to admit that I don't miss the amazing humidity that settled in there during the summers, though. Although while in Kamishii-mura for the next 15 years it was almost as humid, but at least we had the Kuzuryu Gawa breeze (somewhat).

Kinkado at almost the corner of 3ban and kobushi-dori... the BEST pie-shu in the multiverse. Did you ever go there? MMmmmmmm mmmmm!

I used to ride up and down Ifuri-yama out behind Pulse. Nearly blew my heart out with that climb. 1hr to go up, and 7minutes to come down.

And then mountainbiking around Moriyama Ski-jo was amazing.

Also, I used to go just past the tunnel to Katsuyama, turn left, go along the river, and then go swimming under that old decrepid bridge that is no longer there (they tore it down). It was an amazing place to go diving.

My friend Jimmy taught at Shotoku and Kamisho when I was teaching at Ono koko, but HE lived in Katsuyama. He hated trying to get to the schools as he had no car or anything like that. It drove him nuts.

Unknown said...

Do you plan on continuing these lessons?